Loss & grief
The death of a baby is a painful experience for a family.
If your baby died during pregnancy or in the first days of life, you and your family may need help to understand what happened. You may need support to find ways to deal with your grief and ease your pain.
Miscarriage, stillbirth and other conditions can cause a pregnancy to end before or during birth. Infant death can be caused by preterm birth, birth defects and other health conditions.
If you’ve had any of these experiences, you may be overwhelmed by your feelings of grief.
Here’s how you can honor your loss:
- Share Your Story—Join a supportive space to share your story, connect with others and offer support to families with similar experiences—whether that’s infertility, pregnancy or the heartbreak of loss. Visit share.marchofdimes.org/
- Wall of Remembrance—Leave a message as a tribute to your loved one. Share your story, read the memorials and honor the babies and moms and moms-to-be who are gone too soon. Visit marchofdimes.org/remembrance
- Unspoken Stories—Tell us your unspoken story and read stories from families who share an unspoken connection through their struggles, battles, wins and losses. Visit marchofdimes.org/unspoken-stories.aspx
- Honor a Loved One—Family, friends and loved ones may wish to make a difference in a time of sadness and grief. Create a tribute in honor of or in remembrance of someone you love. Visit marchofdimes.org/diy
- Be a Part of Our Community—Join our Facebook March of Dimes Community Group. Connect with other families across the nation for support, comfort and friendship. Visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/marchofdimes
- Join March for Babies: A Mother of a Movement™—Honor those born preterm or with birth defects, remember and pay tribute to those lost and connect with others who share your commitment to helping give every family the best possible start. Visit marchforbabies.org